Okemos, Mich. — The Delta Dental Foundation (DDF) awarded more than $131,000 in community mini-grants to 34 community-based oral health programs and organizations in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.
“If you had $5,000, how would you promote or provide oral health care to your community?" said Holli Seabury, EdD, executive director of the DDF. “These little grants go a long way—whether they’re supporting transportation to the dentist or free dentures to those in need.”
The goal of the Community Mini-Grants program is to increase dental access to historically and systemically disadvantaged communities, provide educational programming on the importance of oral health and how it relates to overall health, and reduce oral health disparities related to oral and overall health. Each grant was limited to a maximum of $5,000.
Recipients were selected based on the number of people served (and the impact of the program on said population), the program’s originality, the program’s level of community involvement and the applicant’s ability to measure success. This year's grantees include:
- Baxter Community Center
- Cristo Rey Community Center
- Disability Network Capital Area
- Friends of the Children
- Health Net of West Michigan, Kent County Oral Health Coalition
- Independence Rides
- Love in Action of the Tri-Cities
- Malta Medical and Dental Clinic
- Michigan Health Council
- Second Chance at Life, Inc.
- Shelter Association of Washtenaw County
- Smile Savers Mobile Dental Health Service
- South Lansing Community Development Association
- Special Olympics Michigan, Inc.
- Street Outreach Teams
- The Bonnell Foundation
- United Health Organization
- VINA Community Dental Center
- Euclid Senior Programs
- Good Neighbor House
- Licking County Health Department
- Miami County Dental Clinic
- Monroe County Health Department
- Ohio State School for the Blind Parent Teacher Foundation
- The Healthcare Connection
- The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Division of Dental Hygiene
- Community Services Center of Morgan County
- Healthy Smiles of Indiana, Inc.
- Hope Healthcare Services
- Isaac Knapp District Dental Society
- Matthew 25, Inc.
- St. Martin's Healthcare
- Trustees of Indiana University
The next round of Community Mini-grants will open on August 14, 2023. For more information, visit our Community Mini-Grants page.